Across the province, communities face pressure from the provincial government to close schools, despite mounting evidence that to do so is a mistake. It’s time to put the brakes on school closures.
Sign the petition
The Wynne Liberals are applying enormous pressure to close and sell-off schools in communities across Ontario, while cutting provincial education funding by up to $500 million.
Save our Schools
Why are schools central to our communities?
Schools are the heart of our communities. Closing them impacts all students, especially in rural areas where kids inevitably face dramatically increased time on buses when their local school is shut.
But it’s not just about the effect on classrooms. Schools are used by all sorts of community groups who need public space. Many incorporate community centres, the local public swimming pool, child care centres, adult education and language training. While the Ministry of Education has long talked about schools as community hubs, it still counts all these uses as “unused space.”
In rural communities, the local school is particularly important. If the school closes, young families won’t move to the town. They’ll choose a town with a school instead. Closing rural schools can be the death knell for a local economy.
The funding formula
School boards across the province are under pressure to close schools in order to save money. A report from the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives shows that boards are under this pressure because of major flaws in the funding formula dating back to the Harris government, and underfunding of recently introduced programs.
What can I do?
- Sign this petition opposing school closures.
- Call, write or email your MPP and the Education Minister so they know you oppose school closures in your community.
- Call, write or email your School Board Trustee. If they have not spoken out against closures, tell them as a constituent that you want them to do so. If they have spoken out against school closures, let them know you support them in this fight.
- Work with parents and others in your community to fight school closures. Ask your municipal government to join other municipal governments in taking a stand against school closures.
- Let us know if your community is facing school closures. CUPE Ontario can help.