Please Click Here to find recent news, events and information from CUPE Ontario.
NO to prorogation!
YES to democracy!
Tell your MPs to get back to work.
Toronto rally and march – Saturday, January 23 at 1:00pm
Yonge-Dundas Square | TTC: Dundas
“When a government starts trying to cancel dissent or avoid dissent is frankly when it’s rapidly losing its moral authority to govern.” – Stephen Harper, Canadian Press, April 18, 2005
Stephen Harper prorogued Parliament on December 30, 2009 for the second time in over a year. Most Canadians oppose it, and see it as an attack on democracy in Canada. Members of Parliament were scheduled to return to work on January 25, but will now be locked out of Parliament until March 3.
How does prorogation affect you?
– Your Member of Parliament cannot raise your concerns in Parliament, or hold the government accountable.
– Thirty-seven bills being debated in Parliament will be thrown out. Debate will start from scratch in March, wasting months of discussion and taxpayers’ money.
– Hearings into accusations of torture of Afghan detainees will be shut down.
– Questions about Canada’s participation in the Copenhagen Climate Change Summit will be silenced.
– Decisions over the pension crisis affecting seniors or the jobs crisis affecting workers will be delayed.
Harper is avoiding accountability by shutting down Parliament. Don’t let him get away with it.
Join us on January 23 to show your opposition to prorogation, and to show your support for democracy. Rallies will be held in towns and cities all across Canada, including Toronto. We invite you to join us!
How you can help
- Join the Facebook group that started it all: http://bit.ly/findusonfacebook http://bit.ly/findusonfacebook> . Or search Facebook for “Canadians Against Proroguing Parliament”.
- Tell your MPs to get back to on January 25, as scheduled. Find your MPs by postal code: http://bit.ly/whoismymp http://bit.ly/whoismymp> .
- Attend the Toronto rally, and bring your family and friends.
- Download the poster and leaflet, photocopy, and distribute: http://groups.google.com/group/capp-outreach/files http://groups.google.com/group/capp-outreach/files> .
- Donate online. We’re a grassroots movement, so we really need your support: http://noprorogue.ca/ http://noprorogue.ca/> http://bit.ly/supportnoprorogue> . Look for the “Donate Now” box.
- Come to our organizing meetings on Fridays at 5:30pm. For location, email [email protected] mailto:[email protected]> .
The Toronto rally is organized by Canadians Against Proroguing Parliament (Toronto), a grassroots, non-partisan movement of ordinary Canadians that emerged in response to Harper’s decision to prorogue Parliament. All are welcome to join us.