TORONTO, ON – Under the cloud of unprecedented cuts and restructuring, and a sustained attack on communities and worker’s rights, from the Doug Ford Progressive Conservatives (PCs), more than 1000 CUPE Ontario members from across the province are at Toronto’s Sheraton Centre this week, to build the resistance plan against a series of misguided policies that will hurt Ontario’s working people.
Key segments of CUPE Ontario’s 56th annual convention include debate and approval of an action plan to mount resistance to Ford’s budget cut mania and looming public services privatization and a large noontime march and rally along University Ave. to Queen’s Park on Thursday, May 29.
Speakers for this convention include:
· Keynote Speaker Jagmeet Singh, Leader of the Federal NDP
· Mark Hancock, President of CUPE National
· Charles Fleury, Secretary-Treasurer, CUPE National
· Fred Hahn, President of CUPE Ontario
· Candace Rennick, Secretary-Treasurer, CUPE Ontario
· Eric Blanc, Journalist, Organizer, Sociologist and Author
NOTICE TO PRODUCERS AND ASSIGNMENT DESKS: Media are encouraged to request interviews with these speakers and other representatives by contacting Caed Malowany, CUPE Communications, whose contact information is listed below.
WHAT: CUPE Ontario Annual Convention.
WHEN: Wednesday May 29th, 2019 – Saturday, June 1st, 2019
WHERE: Sheraton Centre Toronto
123 Queen St W,
Toronto, ON M5H 2M9
For more information, please contact:
Caed Malowany, CUPE Communications, 204-801-9136