TORONTO, ON – Community allies and labour leaders will join members of Local 79 of the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE 79) at Nathan Phillips Square for an informal ‘Brown Bag’ lunch.
The event will highlight the current efforts by CUPE 79 members to secure a fair contract with the City of Toronto. Local 79 has been without a contract since December 31 and, this week, began a work to rule campaign in an effort to move negotiations forward.
Confirmed speakers for event include:
- Zulena Young: City worker and member of the CUPE Local 79 Bargaining Committee
- Deena Ladd: Coordinator, Workers Action Centre
- Ceta Ramkhalawansingh: Social Justice Activist
- Chris Buckley: President, Ontario Federation of Labour
- Fred Hahn: President, CUPE Ontario
- Mark Hancock: CUPE National President
‘Brown Bag It’ event begins at 12 Noon, Thursday, February 25, 2016.
WHAT: ‘Brown Bag It with CUPE 79’ lunchtime rally
WHEN: Thursday, February 25, 12 Noon to 1:00 p.m.
WHERE: Nathan Phillips Square
WHY: To highlight CUPE 79 members’ ongoing efforts to secure
a fair collective agreement with the City of Toronto
For more information, please contact: